• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paying for free housing after quitting a job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sguyton903

What is the name of your state? New York

So i recently quit a job whose employment was at will. When i worked for my boss we had an agreement that while i was working for him, i would be able to stay for free at a cabin that he owns and would occasionally rent out. I was paid minimum wage so that's not an issue. The days i stayed were also infrequent and never recorded. He is now saying that i broke a verbal contract and is going to bill me for the nights that i stayed there. I was just wondering if the consideration part of a verbal agreement would be valid and basically just checking to make sure that i'm not getting taken advantage of. Either way i just want to know whether this is legal or not.

adjusterjack

Either way i just want to know whether this is legal or not.
Whether what's legal or not?

Him saying something. Him sending you a bill. You saying something. You refusing to pay. Sure, all of that is legal. There are no laws prohibiting any of that.

The question is do you have an enforceable oral contract or not?

If you think you don't, then ignore him and see what happens next. He may just be blowing smoke.

sguyton903

Follow up question then, what is the worst that could happen if i refuse to pay and it turns out that somehow he makes the case for me having broken a verbal contract? His words we're also "i talked with my lawyer, i can charge you for the cabin, you broke a verbal contract, i'll bill you." Didn't really give me any evidence, just said something at me. The part i also wonder about is the fact that while i worked for him i stayed for free but didn't stay any time after i quit, so wouldn't that just be a verbal contract that was fulfilled at the time and can't be retroactively changed.

LdiJ

Follow up question then, what is the worst that could happen if i refuse to pay and it turns out that somehow he makes the case for me having broken a verbal contract? His words we're also "i talked with my lawyer, i can charge you for the cabin, you broke a verbal contract, i'll bill you." Didn't really give me any evidence, just said something at me. The part i also wonder about is the fact that while i worked for him i stayed for free but didn't stay any time after i quit, so wouldn't that just be a verbal contract that was fulfilled at the time and can't be retroactively changed.
What is the verbal contract he is claiming that you have broken?

HRZ

I don't follow what oral agreement you are supposed to have violated ....and if the cabin use was part of your compensation package then your employer is perhaps on wrong side of various tax laws not to have properly reported this compensation .

adjusterjack

what is the worst that could happen if i refuse to pay
The worst? He sues you, gets a judgment, garnishes your wages, trashes your credit.

His words we're also "i talked with my lawyer, i can charge you for the cabin, you broke a verbal contract, i'll bill you."
Do you really think he talked to a lawyer?

Until you get served with a summons and complaint, consider it hot air and don't take legal advice from your enemy. Can't imagine why you are still even talking to him.

The part i also wonder about is the fact that while i worked for him i stayed for free but didn't stay any time after i quit, so wouldn't that just be a verbal contract that was fulfilled at the time and can't be retroactively changed.
Probably.

Again, I think it's just hot air and you should ignore him and get on with your life.

sguyton903

Thanks everyone I appreciate the advice. It seems as if my best bet is to just ignore it and assume he doesn't have ground to stand on and is trying to strong arm me. Thanks again as this makes me a lot less stressed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">