• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paying for insurance with NO benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrsmoreau

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania
We have been paying for health insurance through our company. Just found out that we have not been covered since 12/31/2008. Now that we have talked with the company they say they made an administration error and they would retro activate our coverage. They have been taking our money all these months with no coverage. We would like our money back for non coverage for that time. Does anyone know if that is possible or would we be fighting a loosing battle. When I spoke with the insurance company they said we should be reinbursed for the money.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Legally, you are due one of two things:

1.) Your coverage retroactively reinstated (in which case you are not due any refund)

2.) Your money refunded (in which case you are not entitled to have your coverage reinstated)

It is your choice which ONLY if the employer decides to allow you to make the choice. Due to Federal regulations regarding benefits with a pre-tax feature and also due to possible limitations in the policy itself, it's not as simple as just writing a check for the premiums or pushing a button to reinstate the coverage.

Speaking personally, given Federal laws regarding pre-existing conditions, IMHO you would be fools to reject the offer of retro reinstatement if it is offered.

But there is no way on earth you are entitled to retro reinstatement AND a refund.

mrsmoreau

Thank you for the advice.
Isn't the company liable for taking money and not supplying coverage? What if something terrible would have happened. We would have been blind sighted. We found out with a doctors visit. Thank goodness. We were not asking for our money back and a retro active reinstatement. The coverage is supplied by our company. I guess we are wondering where our money has gone all these months, it has to be somewhere if Cigna doesn't have it. I have checked Cigna's website and it is still invalid. I would feel better if I had proof that we were covered.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Now that we have talked with the company they say they made an administration error and they would retro activate our coverage.

You can't sue, or hold them liable, for something that didn't happen. As long as they EITHER follow through on the above, OR refund your premiums, they have done everything they are legally obligated to do.

mlane58

Thank you for the advice.
Isn't the company liable for taking money and not supplying coverage? What if something terrible would have happened. We would have been blind sighted. We found out with a doctors visit. Thank goodness. We were not asking for our money back and a retro active reinstatement. The coverage is supplied by our company. I guess we are wondering where our money has gone all these months, it has to be somewhere if Cigna doesn't have it. I have checked Cigna's website and it is still invalid. I would feel better if I had proof that we were covered.
What if and what has happened are two entriely different issues. Quit looking for a lottery win.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">