• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paying lawyer after sale did not go through

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

agravette

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

My aunt wanted to buy some land from me and she contacted a lawyer before I told her I would sell to her. After he did the title search, I learned that she had been harassing my brother, who lives adjacent to the land for sale. I told her that I did not want to sell to her anymore. Now she is insisting that I pay for the title search and when I spoke to her lawyer, the lawyer said I owe $300 for the title search and his time. My husband agreed over the phone to pay this cost, but I don't think I owe anything. What are my rights?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

My aunt wanted to buy some land from me and she contacted a lawyer before I told her I would sell to her. After he did the title search, I learned that she had been harassing my brother, who lives adjacent to the land for sale. I told her that I did not want to sell to her anymore. Now she is insisting that I pay for the title search and when I spoke to her lawyer, the lawyer said I owe $300 for the title search and his time. My husband agreed over the phone to pay this cost, but I don't think I owe anything. What are my rights?
Let your husband pay it, since he has already agreed to doing so. :cool:

LdiJ

Well, before your husband agreed to pay it, you might have had a valid case. Now your husband has made an agreement and you are likely stuck with that agreement.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I would suggest that you (plural) pay the money that you agreed to pay.

agravette

So, even though I didn't get the lawyer and even though she got one when there was no legal need for it, I still have to pay? Especially when she told us that the title search cost $120. Since it's her lawyer, she could pay $120, but since he's not mine, I have to pay $300. I don't mind paying the $120, but I don't think I should have to pay $300 for nothing. That doesn't really seem fair to me.

agravette

Anyway, it figures, living in the world we live in today. Live and learn, and also never trust family...thanks for you time

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">