• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paying partial health insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cblan10

If the specifics of the agreement were to be arranged between you, then I don't see any legal reason why you can't put the children on your insurance during your Open Enrollment and stop making the payment to her. Whether that would be a wise thing to do with regards to good co-parenting is not a call I'm willing to make.
Thank you. That's really all I was looking for was an unbiased opinion. My ex husband doesn't help at all with our kids insurance so I haven't dealt with this.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
wow....y'all...I wasn't trying to be snarky. I said our three because we're married and I take care of them the same amount of time as their mom and she refers to me as their mom also.

I'm not trying to get a freebie. We would both get to keep more money every month if this gets to happen. Mom's house and Dad's house.

Dad's tried to talk to her to see about this possibility but she won't communicate with him so I was trying to see how this normally works.
You are NOTHING legally to them. These are NOT your children. YOU are a LEGAL stranger.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If the specifics of the agreement were to be arranged between you, then I don't see any legal reason why you can't put the children on your insurance during your Open Enrollment and stop making the payment to her. Whether that would be a wise thing to do with regards to good co-parenting is not a call I'm willing to make.
Depends on the ACTUAL wording of the order. Which OP hasn't posted.

LdiJ

Thank you. That's really all I was looking for was an unbiased opinion. My ex husband doesn't help at all with our kids insurance so I haven't dealt with this.
If however, its part of the court order that mom carry the health insurance and that dad reimburse her for part of it, then he doesn't have the option of deciding that on his own. He would have to take it back to court for a modification.

t74

How much are we talking about every month? Is it really worth attorneys' fees to fight about it?

Pursue your exDH to contribute to his shared children's health care costs or let him cover them on his policy under the same arrangement that you have now.

paddywakk

wow....y'all...I wasn't trying to be snarky. I said our three because we're married and I take care of them the same amount of time as their mom and she refers to me as their mom also.

I'm not trying to get a freebie. We would both get to keep more money every month if this gets to happen. Mom's house and Dad's house.

Dad's tried to talk to her to see about this possibility but she won't communicate with him so I was trying to see how this normally works.
You already said Mom's insurance won't go down for less children, so how will she get to keep more money? Plus, your spouse won't be sending the extra $$ he does now, so she'll be out some amount.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">