• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paying past debt with supplemental needs trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jharber15

I am in Pennsylvania and am just starting to manage a trust for a sibling. As we get the trust funded, I understand that I am able to pay past debts with supplemental needs trust and there are some things to clean up. I am having a hard time getting detailed documentation on what was in the past debt since it is in collections. The debts in collections have been negotiated to a reasonable rate and we're now at a point to pay them. I've asked my sibling to document what was in the past debts for me, so I can have record showing that we're operating by the bounds of the supplemental needs trust. Is this enough for me to move forward? Is there anything else that I should be concerned with prior to paying off the debt?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Without reading the actual terms of the trust and knowing what information you do have about the debt, it's really not possible to say if you might have a problem paying it. Using the term "special needs trust" does not tell me exactly what the trust provides. There is no single standard special needs trust; the exact language matters. If your sibling is not currently competent to handle his/her own finances, then I'm not sure I would rely on what the sibling told me the debt was for. You might want to have the trust reviewed by a trust attorney if you have concerns about whether this payment is proper for the trust to make.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">