• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

paying taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DSDM

What is the name of your state? Florida
:confused:

My mother passed away and forgot to put one piece of property in her trust.
The other two siblings do not want the property because they can't afford to pay the taxes on it and the value is hardly worth putting it through probate. I have been paying taxes on this property (lot) since before my mother passed. The property is in my mothers name alone and her husband passed away years ago.

If I continue paying taxes for X amount of time, will I eventually own the property. What is X amount of time if so?

Last edited:

pojo2

Do as you like but if you ever want to sell the property YOU will not be able to present a clear title to the purchaser, even if you continue to pay 20 years.

It will still be deeded in someone elses name.

HomeGuru

DSDM said:
What is the name of your state? Florida
:confused:

My mother passed away and forgot to put one piece of property in her trust.
The other two siblings do not want the property because they can't afford to pay the taxes on it and the value is hardly worth putting it through probate. I have been paying taxes on this property (lot) since before my mother passed. The property is in my mothers name alone and her husband passed away years ago.

If I continue paying taxes for X amount of time, will I eventually own the property. What is X amount of time if so?

**A: stop playing games and put the property in probate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">