• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

paying x wife's debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



Arizona --- My husband's x wife has stopped making payments on the Jeep she was awarded in the divorce. The loan company took the Jeep and sold it. The rest of the money they want us to pay, because they cannot find his x wife, and because he is on the contract with her. Can they do that? They said they will report it to the credit bureau too. We have 90 days to pay $3,800. We can't do it that quickly. What can we do?


Senior Member
Sorry, yur husband is now responsible for the deficency. I would suggest getting a loan and pay it off that way. If that isn't possible, call the creditor and see about setting up payment terms. Be upfront with the creditor. They've no interest in going to court or ruining anyone's credit. See if they can work with you to resovle this mess.


Senior Member
In addition, once you have made the payments owed by the 'ex', you can then take action against her to recover your damages (the amount you had to pay, including interest, etc.) due to her breach.

The easiest way to do this would be to file in the original family court for breach of agreement. Or, you could take action in the Small Claims court as long as the amount is within the local jurisdiction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential