• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

paypal threatening to send my 16 year old to collections

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Proserpina

How do i know hes telling the truth ? Im not sure on what matter ?, as far as the money he used it replace the gun he shipped out. As far as selling and shipping the item we know it was received by the buyer, he advised paypal that it was dirtier than he though. I understand the issue with the fraudulent paypal setup, but the fact that paypal can just refund the money back to a buyer without requiring the item be returned and have absolutely no liability in the matter to be completely unfair, if this had been done thru my paypal, there would have been no fraud, and we would be in the exact same situation.

That's correct - but if it was actually your account you'd have a far greater chance of recovery.

It's not that the other guy is a saint here (obviously), it's that simply because your son checked that box he's sort of waived any rights to recovery because of the "unclean hands" doctrine.

So while you'd be in the same situation right now regardless, you'd at least be able to push a bit more. Unfortunately for you, that's not the case.

justalayman

so, again, I ask:

so, if this happened using your account, what would the rules of paypal allow you to do that your son is not being allowed?

follow those rules and once you have, if the situation has not been resolved, then you are relegated to using the courts. Given this is an international issue and there is only $425 involved, it is not worth the trouble. Call the police if you want but I don't suspect they are going to flip on the lights and sirens over $425 in an international dispute.

demj1308

That's correct - but if it was actually your account you'd have a far greater chance of recovery.

It's not that the other guy is a saint here (obviously), it's that simply because your son checked that box he's sort of waived any rights to recovery because of the "unclean hands" doctrine.

So while you'd be in the same situation right now regardless, you'd at least be able to push a bit more. Unfortunately for you, that's not the case.
Thanks, i appreciate the input and it makes sense, also thanks for being the only poster to mention that there is another party contributing to this situation.

demj1308

so, again, I ask:

so, if this happened using your account, what would the rules of paypal allow you to do that your son is not being allowed?

follow those rules and once you have, if the situation has not been resolved, then you are relegated to using the courts. Given this is an international issue and there is only $425 involved, it is not worth the trouble. Call the police if you want but I don't suspect they are going to flip on the lights and sirens over $425 in an international dispute.
Well there are no courses to follow from what i can see thru paypal, and its obviously not practical to fill a suit against the buyer, and as an sheriff employee, i know that they probably wouldn't even take the time to visit the buyer. Its just frustration that we managed to loose the item and the money (even if he had not setup the paypal account fraudulently).

justalayman

Thanks, i appreciate the input and it makes sense, also thanks for being the only poster to mention that there is another party contributing to this situation.
seriously?

both ohiogal and I acknowledged the fact the canuck is in the wrong.

oh well, I guess people hear only what they want to hear.

from me:

I think a big issue here is that the buyer still has the merchandise. Not disagreeing with the contractual issue but it sounds like paypal has refunded the money prior to the return of the merchandise. To me, the greater fraud here are the actions of the buyer and paypal.

I suggest op needs to step in and address the issue of the retained merchandise with both paypal and the buyer

one from ohiogal:
Missed that. The gun should be returned but OP shouldn't be complaining that her son is an innocent because he is only 16. He lied. And that lie costs him.
so with that, best of luck. While I don't expect a pat on the back for posting here, I surely am not going to continue to help somebody that simply is so ignorant of the truth.

Proserpina

so, again, I ask:

I missed the international part, obviously. :eek:

Well, if there was a teeny chance of doing something before....it's now disappeared completely.

demj1308

seriously?

both ohiogal and I acknowledged the fact the canuck is in the wrong.

oh well, I guess people hear only what they want to hear.

from me:

one from ohiogal:

so with that, best of luck. While I don't expect a pat on the back for posting here, I surely am not going to continue to help somebody that simply is so ignorant of the truth.
I do appreciate everyone's comments and info and thank you all for taking the time, i guess i missed the the parts where you both had mentioned the item being returned.
Thanks

quincy

... from someone purchasing his paintball gun in canada ... We are located in florida and the item was shipped to canada.
Although this thread seems to have enough issues already ;), it could be important to note that the shipping of a paintball gun (depending on whether the paintball gun could be judged a "replica" or not) could violate Canadian laws.

See 53(b) in the following link on Importing and Exporting Firearms, Weapons and Devices: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d19/d19-13-2-eng.html

Last edited:

demj1308

Although this thread seems to have enough issues already ;), it could be important to note that the shipping of a paintball gun (depending on whether the paintball gun could be judged a "replica" or not) could violate Canadian laws.

See 53(b) in the following link on Importing and Exporting Firearms, Weapons and Devices: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d19/d19-13-2-eng.html
im aware, there law prohibits a paintball gun that resembles a actual weapon, many of the "woods" type paintball guns are designed to look like real guns, this one however was a tournament type gun that doesn't resemble and real gun. I believe they also have a law with a maximum fps rating which this one shoots under.
Thanks

quincy

im aware, there law prohibits a paintball gun that resembles a actual weapon, many of the "woods" type paintball guns are designed to look like real guns, this one however was a tournament type gun that doesn't resemble and real gun. I believe they also have a law with a maximum fps rating which this one shoots under.
Thanks
Well, amidst all the bad news I guess that can be counted as good news, at any rate. :)

Proserpina

It's not that simple.

Here's what the statute actually says:

(b) Airsoft guns and certain types of paintball guns or markers may qualify as a replica firearm, if the muzzle velocity of the projectile does not cause serious bodily harm their external features are clearly designed to resemble a specific and readily identifiable make and model of a firearm. To be considered a firearm, within the meaning of s. 2 of the Criminal Code, an airsoft gun must have a muzzle velocity in excess of 111.6 meters per second (366 feet per second).

quincy

... As far as selling and shipping the item we know it was received by the buyer, he advised paypal that it was dirtier than he though[t] ...
The above-bolded comment made me think that Canadian officials might have confiscated the paintball gun upon its entry into Canada. "Dirtier" has more than one connotation. But it sounds, as described by demj1308, that it might not fall into the "prohibited" category.

I think dmj1308 might want to hope for her son's sake that it doesn't because he seems to be in a bit of a mess with the sale already. :)

Proserpina

The above-bolded comment made me think that Canadian officials might have confiscated the paintball gun upon its entry into Canada. "Dirtier" has more than one connotation. But it sounds, as described by demj1308, that it might not fall into the "prohibited" category.

I think dmj1308 might want to hope for her son's sake that it doesn't because he seems to be in a bit of a mess with the sale already. :)

Agreed.

And muzzle velocity matters.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Many Canadians consider "Canuck" to be offensive. Unless you happen to be a hockey player from Vancouver.

Others feel it only relates to French-Canadians. Same qualifier.

Just sayin'.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I hate to say this but are you frickiing kidding me, but as far as your concerned the major crime here is setting up a paypal account fraudulantly which has no victim, if everything had gone as it should have, and the person who is keeping something that dosent belong to him (something that does have a victim) in you book is fine.
Yeah there was a victim. Paypal is out money. Almost $500 which in some states is considered a felony. And your lying child is one of the ones responsible. But keep on with your stupidity and ignorance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">