• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

paypal threatening to send my 16 year old to collections

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Thanks, i appreciate the input and it makes sense, also thanks for being the only poster to mention that there is another party contributing to this situation.
You are stupid and full of crap. Both I and justalayman mentioned that the other person shouldn't keep the gun. Your problem is you refuse to see how your son is a criminal.

single317dad

Maybe I missed in in the 4 pages of garbage, but what has actually happened so far in this transaction? Please relate EXACTLY the events and timeline.

How was the gun sold? (how was it advertised as 'for sale' and how was an agreement reached)

When was the gun paid for?

When and by what method was the gun shipped? (+any extra services such as delivery confirmation)

When was the complaint lodged with Paypal by the buyer?

What was the content of that complaint?

When and how did Paypal decide the outcome of the buyer complaint?

Did your son take part in the complaint resolution process? (for example, agree to refund the money if the gun was returned)

What else is missing from this story? Please provide all details EXACTLY as they occurred.

Paypal would give the buyer a refund without returning the item in a few cases: if the package was never delivered, if there was significant fraud such as a brick shipped instead of a gun, if the item was verified as counterfeit, or if the seller failed to respond to notices of the dispute. Let's find out what happened and why, then we can all start screaming about who's going to jail.

justalayman

Many Canadians consider "Canuck" to be offensive. Unless you happen to be a hockey player from Vancouver.

Others feel it only relates to French-Canadians. Same qualifier.

Just sayin'.
My apologies if I have offended with the term. No offense intended and I will try to limit my references to Canucks to the properly accepted use.

TigerD

All I am going to say is: WOW.

And:
This is a civil matter. The cops aren't going to investigate it. Prosecutors have too much real crime on their plates to chase ghosts. While, there may - and it is a tenuous may - have been misstatement by the infant -- Paypal, as a financial services company, has a greater duty here than does a child.

OP - go talk to a consumer rights attorney. Look them up at NACA.net

DC

Proserpina

And:
This is a civil matter. The cops aren't going to investigate it. Prosecutors have too much real crime on their plates to chase ghosts. While, there may - and it is a tenuous may - have been misstatement by the infant -- Paypal, as a financial services company, has a greater duty here than does a child.

DC

I love your "location" thingy in your profile thingy

(this completely irrelevant statement was brought to you by the latter Z and a quad shot Starbucks)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Maybe I missed in in the 4 pages of garbage, but what has actually happened so far in this transaction? Please relate EXACTLY the events and timeline.

How was the gun sold? (how was it advertised as 'for sale' and how was an agreement reached)

When and by what method was the gun shipped? (+any extra services such as delivery confirmation)

Did your son take part in the complaint resolution process? (for example, agree to refund the money if the gun was returned)

What else is missing from this story? Please provide all details EXACTLY as they occurred.

Paypal would give the buyer a refund without returning the item in a few cases: if the package was never delivered, if there was significant fraud such as a brick shipped instead of a gun, if the item was verified as counterfeit, or if the seller failed to respond to notices of the dispute. Let's find out what happened and why, then we can all start screaming about who's going to jail.
The 16 year old liar refused to respond to notices of the dispute. The 16 year old also utilized paypal (apparently by lying that he was an adult and at least 18 years of age). Mommy and/or daddy is now whining that their poor child is being treated because he is only 16 and this is NOT fair and the buyer took advantage.

Ignoring the facts that their precious snowflake or sunbeam is a liar and committed fraud by signing up to begin with and ignored all the notices sent (either by email or snail mail) by paypal.

In other words, their child is a liar and a fraud.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

And:

DC
And if their child had not sworn that they were adult that would be one thing. But their precious snowflake/sunbeam swore by signing up that they had read the TOS and that he was 18 years old. Too bad he lied and committed fraud. Hence, he and OP have issues.

davew128

Many Canadians consider "Canuck" to be offensive. Unless you happen to be a hockey player from Vancouver.
The only hockey players in Vancouver are chokers who get shut out on their home ice in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals, at which point the city destroys itself in anger.

davew128

Having dealt with PayPal's nonsense before, they will generally simply side with the buyer and wash their hands of the transaction REGARDLESS of who is ripping off whom.

And for the record, legalities aside, the OP (and his son) has the moral high ground here. Using the "check the box if you're 18" excuse is a cop out and you all know it.

quincy

Having dealt with PayPal's nonsense before, they will generally simply side with the buyer and wash their hands of the transaction REGARDLESS of who is ripping off whom.

And for the record, legalities aside, the OP (and his son) has the moral high ground here. Using the "check the box if you're 18" excuse is a cop out and you all know it.
One of the major problems in selling to a non-U.S. buyer is that, if the sale doesn't go as planned, trying to pursue any legal action is generally not worth the effort or expense. An adult seller might have considered this fact more than a 16 year old would.

(I don't think anyone takes hockey more seriously than Canadians but no one - including Canadians - celebrate hockey wins better than Detroit Red Wings fans :))

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The only hockey players in Vancouver are chokers who get shut out on their home ice in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals, at which point the city destroys itself in anger.
Which is not a problem for me since I'm a Leafs fan.

single317dad

One of the major problems in selling to a non-U.S. buyer is that, if the sale doesn't go as planned, trying to pursue any legal action is generally not worth the effort or expense. An adult seller might have considered this fact more than a 16 year old would.

(I don't think anyone takes hockey more seriously than Canadians but no one - including Canadians - celebrate hockey wins better than Detroit Red Wings fans :))
If the seller had handled the issue properly, no legal action would have been required. For all its faults, Paypal is very good about protecting buyers and sellers when items are shipped to a verified address with delivery confirmation (or signature on items over $250). I ship outside the US several times per week, and haven't had to eat a lost package since 2008 (when the rules were different).

davew128

Key word being might have, but hinging responses on the seller being 16 and not old enough per TOS as opposed to 18 and expecting a different outcome is naive.

Hard to say. Been so long since a Canadian team has actually won The Cup (the only Cup that matters is Lord Stanley's and not the glorified Kickball Cup) I don't think anyone remembers what happens.

davew128

If the seller had handled the issue properly, no legal action would have been required. For all its faults, Paypal is very good about protecting buyers and sellers when items are shipped to a verified address with delivery confirmation (or signature on items over $250).
Which would be all well and good if a lost delivery was being claimed here. I have personal experience with Paypal with regards to claims of defective merchandise as a seller (3 months AFTER the sale) and how they will default to the buyers side almost automatically.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">