• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Payroll deposited my check into the wrong account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JMeeks

I understand that she has more than one job, I said her one job, for me. and since that "one job" takes a fraction of an hour, she could have easily changed it immediately after sending the e-mail saying she would take care of it.

Dude, how about you make assumptions about me? The details are personal and I will not get into why the account was overdrawn. I have made arrangements with the bank to correct that error.

And no, once I give her different information, and she confirms the change, the authorization is no longer valid or else why would any payroll person bother doing what they should? Heck, I should get a payroll job so that I can do nothing and not get in trouble for it. This lady has a history of not doing the right thing.

I am not asking for you guys to validate my overdrawn account. You have no idea what happened and I didn't want it to happen either.
Her inability to make the change has caused me problems.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Actually, even if the account was at a zero balance she did not deposit the check into the right account.

Had she done her job, my check would be where it should be and it would be the full amount.

The new account has payments scheduled and no check deposited there. Her one job for me was to switch the accounts.

She had two weeks to do so and I know for a fact she can do it in less than half an hour because she did it yesterday, after it was too late.

Now because of her negligence at her job, I have damages. Had she sent the check to the proper place there would be no issue what-so-ever.

The main issue is that she sent my check into an account that she was not authorized to send it to and that mistake cost me more than just an overdrawn balance, it will cause me late fees from the scheduled payments on the account she was supposed to send to, and possible overdraft charges there too.
If you're her boss, you can fire her.

Wait, you're not her boss. At least, I certainly hope you're not in charge of anything involving $$$. Well, I suppose you can complain to your supervisor and her superiors. That will certainly boost their esteem of you.

Not seeing any laws broken here.

JMeeks

Thank you guys for all your time. I appreciate the responses.
I'm certainly hope some of you are nicer in person than your attitude has been to me.

I don't understand how all this works and it really just seems wrong to me that she can not do what was asked and just cause trouble willy-nilly.
This wasn't her first mistake by far. According to my immediate supervisor, she has a history of screwing up payroll for lots of people. She is great friends with her immediate supervisor, so she never gets in trouble.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm certainly hope some of you are nicer in person than your attitude has been to me.

I don't understand how all this works and it really just seems wrong to me that she can not do what was asked and just cause trouble willy-nilly.
This wasn't her first mistake by far. According to my immediate supervisor, she has a history of screwing up payroll for lots of people. She is great friends with her immediate supervisor, so she never gets in trouble.
Look on the bright side - your debt to the bank has been paid (or, at least, greatly reduced).

justalayman

I gave you an action to consider.

You are also confusing two issues

Her actions

And

Is there a way to reverse the deposit of your money into an account you didn’t want it sent to.

It seems her actions are the most important to you since that is what you addressed the most, what you can do is speak to her superiors. Other than that, you have no control over what happens to her n

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You've never worked in Payroll, have you?

You have absolutely no clue what it takes to make a change, or how long it takes for the information to process, or how long in advance the bank requires that she give them the information. You're ASSuming that she didn't process your request, or process it in a timely fashion, and you're not even considering the possibility that the amount of time you ASSumed was appropriate was in fact, not enough time because you ASSumed you knew all about how the change gets made.

Guess what. You don't.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">