• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pen Name??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

author4u

From Alabama..

I am an elementary school teacher. I have recently completed a novel and now in stages of self-publication. My book has a moral message near the end. However, before the end is reached, sexual content is mentioned and some profanity. Question: Should i use a pen name to "protect" my teaching position?

Also, the main character and overall subject of the book are based on actual issues in the school system. Local people in the profession will know exactly who's being addressed in the novel though I have changed names and fictionalized some events to make a good read. Question: Am in the clear of lawsuits?

LdiJ

From Alabama..

I am an elementary school teacher. I have recently completed a novel and now in stages of self-publication. My book has a moral message near the end. However, before the end is reached, sexual content is mentioned and some profanity. Question: Should i use a pen name to "protect" my teaching position?

Also, the main character and overall subject of the book are based on actual issues in the school system. Local people in the profession will know exactly who's being addressed in the novel though I have changed names and fictionalized some events to make a good read. Question: Am in the clear of lawsuits?
A pen name wouldn't be a bad idea at all. I do think however that you might be pushing the envelope if people can easily figure out who your characters are based upon.

quincy

From Alabama..

Using a pen name will not protect you from lawsuits (or from paying taxes on your earnings ;)).

The way to protect against lawsuits is to make sure the content of your book does not infringe on anyone else's rights (rights to privacy, rights to a maintain a good reputation, intellectual property rights). Content of any text that can be connected to identified or identifiable people will always come with legal risk.

That said, many authors use and have used pseudonyms for various reasons, including the reason you cite here (to protect your reputation and your job).

Pseudonyms can be used instead of real names when registering works with the Copyright Office so, with timely registration, your work can still be eligible for statutory damages should it be infringed - although registering a work anonymously could shorten the term of copyright protection your work enjoys, from lifetime of author plus 70 years to 95 years from publication or 120 years from creation. Even though you can register your book anonymously with the Copyright Office, you may not be able to remain anonymous in your state. Many states require that anyone doing business in the state register their name (and their doing/business/as name) with the state.

It can be important to note that books with anonymous authors can be difficult to market. New authors often benefit from book signings and personal appearances but when you are anonymous, you cannot appear as yourself. This can affect the amount of money your book makes for you.

At any rate, there is a lot to consider before publishing your book, with or without an alias. I recommend you consult with a publishing law professional prior to publication, for a personal review of your manuscript and for possible editing of the content. Including a disclaimer with your book can help mitigate damages if, despite your best efforts to avoid a lawsuit, one is filed against you anyway. And having insurance is also smart.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">