• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

penalty for moving out without written notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lasalle

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina

I moved into a rental for 2 1/2 months and told the leasing agent I was leaving on 10/31/08 when my house was built. I went this week to see if I can extend the lease by a month as my closing was pushed back to 11/24/08. I was told I have to pay rent for Nov and Dec as I had not given 60 day written notice as is stated in the lease which I signed. I did not read the lease and I assumed since I told them verbally I was moving 10/31/08 that would be fine. I was told verbal was not sufficient. I asked why was it not pointed out that I needed to put in writing in the next 2 weeks if I wanted to move out in 2 1/2 months and was told that was not their responsibility to point out or explain the lease, that it was my responsibility to read it and verbal notififcatio I was moving was not sufficient and that under SC law since I signed the lease I was responsible and verbally telliing them means nothing.
Sorry for the long post, but do I have a leg to stand on or will I be forced to pay rent for Decemebr even though I will not be living there. Thanks in advance

mwbarton

Does the lease end on 10/31? I don't know about SC law, but most short-term leases allow you to continue as a month to month tenant, in which case you would need to give 30 days notice.

You really need to sit down and read that lease.

lasalle

The lease said I had to give them 60 days notice, I gave them verbally 60 days, which they said was not binding, I just gave them 30 days written notice, but they said it has to be 60 days as stated in the lease.

FarmerJ

Verbal notices have the same value as a fart in walmart the smell is there for a short time and memory fades. Notices with rentals need to be written sent via method of delivery that gives proof of the date it was sent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">