• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pending Petition

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? CA

When I came here in US, I was in dependent visa from my father that has a working permit. I obtained a SS number but it has "not valid for employment."

When my father got a green card, I wasn't included since I was over 21, then father filled a petition I-130 for me on November 2001. I checked the status last week and spoke to a customer service in INS, according to her they are in the process for the July 2001 petition.

My question is, will it affect my petition, if I work and use my ss with "not valid for an employment"?

Please help.



Senior Member
Yes, absolutely! You may NOT work if you are not authorized to work. Furthermore, I think you may be a bit misguided about when you would be eligible for a green card. If your father just became a green card holder and petitioned for you as a child of a green card holder, it will be at least 6-8 years before you will be eligible for a green card on that family relationship basis since it is a family-based petition and not eligible for an immediate visa. So even if the I-130 is approved, it will not be of any immediate use or benefit to you. If you work without authorization in the meantime, it can have serious repercussions to your ability to eventually get a green card.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if I may be of further assistance to you in this matter.


Junior Member
Thank you very much for your reply, it really means a lot to me.

My next question, what is repercussions for doing it so? I'm sorry but I just need the knowledge for me to understand further more of my status.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential