• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pennsylvania-Vague lease language

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Asnyder301

Recently my original lease agreement was set to expire on 1/31/2019. My LL was only willing to offer a 6 month extension. We had communicated prior about the fact that at the end of 2019 I had planned on moving out and purchasing a home. Through some negotiation the LL agreed to give me a 6 month extension, with this I asked that there be a clause that with 60 day notice the lease could be terminated as I planned on moving up my home purchase search.

The language the LL included is as follows:
“After April 1st 2019, tenant may terminate this amendment upon 60 days written notice should tenant enter into an agreement to purchase a home.”

I took this to mean that if I buy a home I would only need to provide 60 days notice and be able to terminate the lease April 1st or beyond. Which I now have and attempted to provide written notice that I would be paying my March rent then moved out before April 1st but the landlord is stating this amendment means that I would only be eligible to provide 60 day notice after April 1st.

Do I have a case here due to what I deem vague language?

adjusterjack

It's not vague at all. I read it the way the LL reads it. The clause doesn't go into effect until "After April 1st 2019."

After April 1st 2019 you give your 60 day notice and you pay rent for the next 60 days.

If you had left out the date, you'd have been fine.

FarmerJ

Considering how things can go wrong with closing dates even if you tried to say do a closing in early April you may actually need more time to get moved into a new place especially if its occupied and the owner doesn't deliver it as vacated before the closing.

Asnyder301

Considering how things can go wrong with closing dates even if you tried to say do a closing in early April you may actually need more time to get moved into a new place especially if its occupied and the owner doesn't deliver it as vacated before the closing.
Closing is set for 2/21, property is vacant. Planned on using March for a few small projects (ripping down wallpaper, painting etc) then moving at the end of March.

FarmerJ

Sounds like you will be obligated to not only give proper in writing notice to the LL say sent via confirmed mail delivery to arrive in time with the terms of the lease and having to pay rent up to the end of the notice period to avoid being sued the amount of the rent due during that time frame.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">