• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pension Account Frozen Due to Merger

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bowllin323

What is the name of your state? NY

My company put a freeze on our deferred benefit plan due to a merger with another company that resulted in a brand new company that is offering a matching 401k plan. My question is, if I am of retirement age(68) but do not yet want to retire from the NEW company, can I start to collect my pension benefits from the OLD company (frozen plan)now? Could I be considered retired or no longer working for the OLD company, since I am now getting paid from the new entity?

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It is highly unlikely that you can collect from a frozen plan. It is also highly unlikely that you can collect from a plan that almost certainly will no longer exist when the plan is "unfrozen".

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The assets of the old plan will almost certainly be rolled into the new plan and the old plan cease to exist.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">