• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pension after Lay-Off

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

faar50

What is the name of your state? TX

I worked for a major telecommunications company for 23 years and was RIF'd (lay-off) in December of 2000. I was 2 years short of retirement when I was laid off so I was offered about 1/4 of my pension plus severance pay. I had to sign papers that I would not sue in order to get any severance pay. I signed since I would have been let go anyway with minimal money to keep me going. The paperwork also said I could apply to come back to work for the company after one year.

Fifteen months later, I worked for this same company through a contractor agency, hoping to get on permanent. I worked for the company 3 more years as a contractor and was told several times they would try to get me on permanent. Nothing ever came of it and I was let go again in April of 2005. Now, this telecommunications company is pretty much black balling all former employees and not letting us back in for any kind of job. I tried to apply for an operator job through their website and a message comes up saying they have limited jobs for former employees or contractor employees and to call a number to ask about my status for returning to work. I did this and naturally, thet never called back.

This company was able to keep at least 3/4 of my pension because I was 2 years short of retirement and will not let me back in. Is there anything I can do legally to get my pension?

Thanks,
Fran

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">