• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pension Benefits Denied

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PatsyMac

What is the name of your state?
Michigan

I am being denied my late husbands pension benefits because he opted for the "no survivor benefits" option. He was a State employee. Do I have any appeal options?

Thank you,
PatsyMac

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If that is the option your husband selected, no, you do not have any appeal options. Particularly if he was receiving benefits based on that selection.

somarco

I would be surprised if the election form did not require a signature from the spouse. Before benefits are paid, a pensioner is required to make an election and obtain signatures from all interested parties, including current & former spouse who may be entitled to survivor benefits.

Curt581

somarco said:
I would be surprised if the election form did not require a signature from the spouse. Before benefits are paid, a pensioner is required to make an election and obtain signatures from all interested parties, including current & former spouse who may be entitled to survivor benefits.
The pensioner is the only interested party at the time he retires, if he neglected or chose not to make her party to it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">