• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pension Pay-out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gtwigg11

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I was recently let go by an employer of 16 years, I have 15 years vested in my retirement account with them and when I asked if they could pay me out these benefits I was told no because they were worth more 5000.00 and they only pay out 5000.00 or less, they said I would have to wait until I was 55 to begin claiming my benefits, is there any way I can force them to pay these funds out to me?
Please help
Thanks
Glen

ShyCat

Assuming they are following the requirements of the plan (which I'm sure they are), the answer is NO. Read your Summary Plan Description (SPD) for the pension plan.

Beth3

Glen, "retirement plan" covers a WHOLE lot of territory. Do you actually have a bonafide pension plan or do you have a 401(k) or similar defined contribution plan?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">