• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pension plan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rekennedy

What is the name of your state? California
I retired from Union Bank of California 04/01/2001, on 04/12/2006 subject Bank informed me that they miscalculated my pension beneft by not deducting the amount being paid to my ex-spouse under a qualified domestic relation order dated 07/14/89. They want me to repay them the overpayment of $16,593.57 in a lump sum or reduced future benefits.

Since it took them over five years to find their mistake are they prevented from collecting this overpayment by a statute of limitations?

californiaWhat is the name of your state?

Last edited:

ecmst12

I could be wrong, but I think the statute of limitations for debts begins sometime after you are first notified of the debt.....

Betty

I remember reading about an employee who had to pay back excess pension benefits because of a miscalculation by the employer. They were, however, in that case able to take a deduction on the amt. paid back on their income tax. Maybe someone else will have more info for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">