• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pension refused after involuntary severance from company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anabelle100106

I am located in Pennsylvania. I was employed by a top food manufactuing company from July 23,2003 to June 30,2008. The company offered a severance package to me that included severance pay, health benefits etc. I was one month shy of hitting the 5 year mark for getting vested in my pension. I was told that they could not guarentee that I would be vested since the I was a month short and they would not have an answer for me until after I left. They said that I should get it though because when there were people outsourced the year before, they all recieved the pension. Some were three years short of the required five years.
I spoke with the company that works with the pensions and they said that I would not be vested on July 23, 2008 but rather on July 1,2008. This means that I was not a month short of being vested in the pension program but rather 1 day! Needless to say, I left and they denied my pension. I was wondering if they were legally able to deny me my pension. If so, is it something that if I fought would be successful:confused :?

Beth3

Only someone with in-depth knowledge of the company's pension/retirement plan can answer that question. Ask the company for a copy of the Plan Document. If you need help interpreting it (these documents can be pretty confusing), take it to an attorney or retirement plan expert.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">