• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Performance Bonus

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

emee1008

What is the name of your state? OH

At the end of December I will be laid off from a public company based in Illinois. Every year there is a performance bonus paid based on how well the company has done. This year they are looking at about a 5% bonus for the year 2005.

My question to you is,,bonuses are paid out in March for performance of the prior year. Since I will be laid off as of December 31, will I be eligible for that bonus even though I will not be working at the firm in March.

emee

Beth3

emee, that depends entirely on the particulars of your employer's bonus plan. Some plans specify that the employee must be employed as of the last day of the quarter/year; other plans specify the employee must also be employed the date that the bonuses are distributed.

You really need to discuss this with your employer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">