• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Performance Evaluation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Xagor

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA

This is a general question and not even sure there is a category for it. However, this question is for HR experts in this forum.

I work for a company who's HR Manager keeps insisting that everything written on the performance review MUST be in past tense. First of all the form was inconsistent and the questions were in present tense. For example, it asks "How is the employee's performance?" not was.

Is there a legal issue in regards to using present tense as opposed to past tense? I can understand accomplishments and met goals should be put in past tense however, describing "progress" as well as traits and skills in past tense does not make sense. Reviews are dated materials therefore even if it is in present form it is understood that the review is only up to the recorded date. It has an adverse affect on an employee when certain things are put in past tense. For example, if a reviewer states "Employee is a dedicated worker". That is an encouraging/positive statement. However, if it's stated as, "Employee was a dedicated worker". This implies that the was but no longer is? That has negative impact. I would think review should be mixed of past and present tense not just purely past tense.

Just want clarification. TIA! :)

Beth3

Is there a legal issue in regards to using present tense as opposed to past tense? No. Common sense dictates that the supervisor writing the performance evaluation make it clear what period of time they're referring to but there is no specific legal issue.

I agree with you. Saying "Joan was a dedicated worker" implies that she no longer is. I guess you could say "Over the past 12 months, Joan has been a dedicated worker" and that clears up the matter but personally, I think your HR manager is going overboard. As long as the intent of the writer is clear and what's written in the appraisal is fair and accurate, who gives a darn what tense it's in?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I agree. There is no legal issue involved; your manager is nit-picking

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">