• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pergo Laminate Flooring from previous owner

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

iachella

What is the name of your state? California.

I bought a condo in CA a few months ago. Two stories and we are in both levels. We have neighbors to each side only. The dividing walls have excellent soundproofing.

The previous owner installed Pergo laminate flooring. The HOA is saying this ‘may’ not be allowed. The rule reads something like – floors shall be maitainted to original or like soundproofing materials. They were carpet when constructed in 1979. They are not saying we must remove it just yet, but are saying there may be a sound issue with the floor. One neighbor is complaining that she can hear our 18 month old pitter pattering around, which prompted the HOA sending me a letter. My other neighbor tells me he can’t hear a thing. He has laminate and tile and I can’t hear him or his family. (the HOA doesn’t know about him because nobody has complained) I also know that at least 5 out of the 60 units have either wood, laminate, or tile in them. The lady complaining seems to have a history of complaining about any little thing but she also happens to be a board member. I shouldn’t ignore the situation, then, but the other board members roll their eyes a bit when she brings something up I heard (I haven’t been able to attend a meeting yet).

I have two questions. 1) I have put in area rugs on the main open areas and walkways, and have put the same carpet padding under the rugs that you find with installed carpet. In my opinion, this is “like” enough to not require any further action. It has a similar accoustic affect even if the entire floor is not covered. I have been very polite the the HOAs letter by saying I would look into carpeting and get back to them, but it is too expensive for me after having paid the crazy home costs in CA. Is this a good approach and does it have a good chance of success? I am thinking along the lines of “ I am doing the best I can to improve the soundproofing but don’t have the money to re-carpet the place”.

Question 2) Can the HOA make me carpet the place if it was done before my time? In California, I uderstand, if a previous owner gets away with an unpermitted mod, the city cannot make the subsequent owner remove it. The reasons may have to do with the financial burden on the new owner, but I don’t know for sure. Does this comparison have any meaning to my situation? I have also heard that the HOA doesn’t have the money to bring anyone to court and their lawyer is reluctant to put a lien on anyone.

The Pergo flooring has the required pad under the laminate and the required gap along the walls; I checked this out to make sure. Again, we are on the bottom AND top floors, so neighbors are only to our sides. This hasn’t gotten out of hand yet. I’m just hoping to smooth it out and know what they can do to me if they aren’t satisfied with my ‘reasonable efforts’.

Thanks for any help.
Stefano in Concord, CA

HomeGuru

iachella said:
What is the name of your state? California.

I bought a condo in CA a few months ago. Two stories and we are in both levels. We have neighbors to each side only. The dividing walls have excellent soundproofing.

The previous owner installed Pergo laminate flooring. The HOA is saying this ‘may’ not be allowed. The rule reads something like – floors shall be maitainted to original or like soundproofing materials. They were carpet when constructed in 1979. They are not saying we must remove it just yet, but are saying there may be a sound issue with the floor. One neighbor is complaining that she can hear our 18 month old pitter pattering around, which prompted the HOA sending me a letter. My other neighbor tells me he can’t hear a thing. He has laminate and tile and I can’t hear him or his family. (the HOA doesn’t know about him because nobody has complained) I also know that at least 5 out of the 60 units have either wood, laminate, or tile in them. The lady complaining seems to have a history of complaining about any little thing but she also happens to be a board member. I shouldn’t ignore the situation, then, but the other board members roll their eyes a bit when she brings something up I heard (I haven’t been able to attend a meeting yet).

I have two questions. 1) I have put in area rugs on the main open areas and walkways, and have put the same carpet padding under the rugs that you find with installed carpet. In my opinion, this is “like” enough to not require any further action. It has a similar accoustic affect even if the entire floor is not covered. I have been very polite the the HOAs letter by saying I would look into carpeting and get back to them, but it is too expensive for me after having paid the crazy home costs in CA. Is this a good approach and does it have a good chance of success? I am thinking along the lines of “ I am doing the best I can to improve the soundproofing but don’t have the money to re-carpet the place”.

**A: we don't know. Have your wife and kid run around the unit while you listen from the lady's apartment.

Question 2) Can the HOA make me carpet the place if it was done before my time? In California, I uderstand, if a previous owner gets away with an unpermitted mod, the city cannot make the subsequent owner remove it. The reasons may have to do with the financial burden on the new owner, but I don’t know for sure. Does this comparison have any meaning to my situation? I have also heard that the HOA doesn’t have the money to bring anyone to court and their lawyer is reluctant to put a lien on anyone.

**A: yes, read the CC&R's.
The Pergo flooring has the required pad under the laminate and the required gap along the walls; I checked this out to make sure. Again, we are on the bottom AND top floors, so neighbors are only to our sides. This hasn’t gotten out of hand yet. I’m just hoping to smooth it out and know what they can do to me if they aren’t satisfied with my ‘reasonable efforts’.

Thanks for any help.
Stefano in Concord, CA
**A: good luck.

iachella

California

Can anyone other than HomeGuru offer any advice to this question?
I've read the CC&Rs, it's a vague rule, and I didn't do the floors myself;
the previous owner did. Any REAL experts out there? I'm sure HomeGuru
will snap back at this, but I hope not. I'd prefer someone else respond.

Thanks,
Stefano in Concord, CA

HomeGuru

iachella said:
California

Can anyone other than HomeGuru offer any advice to this question?
I've read the CC&Rs, it's a vague rule, and I didn't do the floors myself;
the previous owner did. Any REAL experts out there? I'm sure HomeGuru
will snap back at this, but I hope not. I'd prefer someone else respond.

Thanks,
Stefano in Concord, CA

**A: you got a real answer.

Last edited by a moderator:

iachella

Judging from HomeGuru's responses, it would be hard to beleive he
is really serious about the topics on this forum.

He must not be all that knowledgable. I would not trust him.
He is probably just giving false advice.

Stefano.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">