• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.


Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



in the state of california what is the consequences to a person for making a statement in writing to a court that is untrue? this statement said I was drunk at a location associated with work and was made only this May when the event was last year. can I sue this person in small claim court for this slander? What would a judge do to this person if I can prove it is not true?


Senior Member
Based on your post, it appears that the only erroneous statement was as to the year of the 'drunk' (your post implies that the error was in saying the incident was "only this May when the event was last year"), it is probable that the statement was made in error. If made in error and not done with malice or intent to mislead, nothing will happen from your complaint. After all, we are only human and not infallible. And, since this statement was made in court (per your message), you had every opportunity to 'correct' the record at that time.

Sounds to me like you are 'grasping a very thin rope' in trying to hinge your case on this issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential