• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Permanent Alimony?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Linda310

Junior Member
What is the name of your state? CA

I've been married for approx. 30 years. I've worked, full-time, approx. 11 years, until I sustained disc injuries to both my neck and back. Due to my chronic pain, my doctor has ordered that I work no more than 20 hours per week.

I make approx. $1400 a month. My husband makes approx. $5600 a month. What kind of alimony would I be entitled to? And for how long would this alimony be awarded to me?

Also, if my husband owes me back pay for spousal support, which he does, how do I get him to pay it? He has taken an unco-operative stance since the beginning of this divorce & refuses to pay alimony & the back pay that he owes.
 
Last edited:


nextwife

Senior Member
Linda310 said:
What is the name of your state? CA

I've been married for approx. 30 years. I've worked, full-time, approx. 11 years, until I sustained disc injuries to both my neck and back. Due to my chronic pain, my doctor has ordered that I work no more than 20 hours per week.

I make approx. $1400 a month. My husband makes approx. $5600 a month. What kind of alimony would I be entitled to? And for how long would this alimony be awarded to me?

Also, if my husband owes me back pay for spousal support, which he does, how do I get him to pay it? He has taken an unco-operative stance since the beginning of this divorce & refuses to pay alimony & the back pay that he owes.
Has any court order been issued ORDERING him to pay spousal support? If not, then he "owes" nothing until there is a court order saying he owes it. SS doesn't miraculously get ordered to someone just because they are female, thus there is no SS UNTIL a court makes the determination that one owes the other SS.
 

Linda310

Junior Member
nextwife said:
Has any court order been issued ORDERING him to pay spousal support? If not, then he "owes" nothing until there is a court order saying he owes it. SS doesn't miraculously get ordered to someone just because they are female, thus there is no SS UNTIL a court makes the determination that one owes the other SS.
Yes, I failed to mention that there has already been a court order for SS. Because he has refused to pay for approx. 6 months now, this is why he owes me back pay. I still have not seen one single penny of it.

Also, with my on-going condition and his high income, what kind of SS would I be entitled to and for how long would this last? I am afraid of not being able to support myself once this is all over...

I really appreciate the help you give. Thank you
 

LdiJ

Senior Member
Linda310 said:
Yes, I failed to mention that there has already been a court order for SS. Because he has refused to pay for approx. 6 months now, this is why he owes me back pay. I still have not seen one single penny of it.

Also, with my on-going condition and his high income, what kind of SS would I be entitled to and for how long would this last? I am afraid of not being able to support myself once this is all over...

I really appreciate the help you give. Thank you
In all reality you really need an attorney on this one. Since he is already refusing to pay the spousal support and the case isn't even finished yet, that is not a good sign for your ability to collect once the orders are final. You really need the assistance of an attorney.
 

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">
Top