• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Permanent Disability & Time to file claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jegonda

What is the name of your state? OHIO

My father had a severe heart attack (100% blockage) on July 4th. Fortunately, he survived and surprisingly did well enough to return to his career as a diesel mechanic. He has now been back to work a total of 8 days. However, he now feels he will not be able to continue to work...To file a disability claim thru SS, is there a time limit to do so - meaning how long does he have to file, since returning to work, to still be able to use the July 4th date as a date of disability.

I hope that makes sense...I thought I read somewhere he can attempt to return to work for 2 weeks, and if it doesn't work out he can use the July date for the disability claim.

Thank you VERY much.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
This is a contract issue rather than a legal one. He will need to look at the insurance policy to see how much time he has to file.

C

CIAA

jegonda, in regard to SSD, your Dad should file within a reasonable time. With only a few exceptions, to qualify to receive SSD benefits you must (1) be unable to engage in meaningful employment (2) have been totally disabled for 6 months, and (3) have a total disability that is expected to last for 1 year.
Your Dad should discuss this with his Cardiologist and family physician, as they will need to be providing their disability opinions on his behalf.

Also, don't forget about your Dad's health insurance that , if thru his employer, may cancel if he stops working. He may be entitled to COBRA for 18 months (29 months if approved for SSD) or "mini cobra" for 6 months (Section 3923.38, Ohio Revised Code); but regardless, his health insurance is a very important matter at this point.

Good luck and best wishes for your Dad's recovery

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">