• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Permits and Licenses ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I am looking into renting out a house or two in Pennsylvania through a LLC, what Federal, State and Local Permits and Licenses am I likely to need?

Last edited:

LdiJ

I am looking into renting a house or two in Pennsylvania through a LLC, what Federal, State and Local Permits and Licenses am I likely to need?
Are we to assume that you will be renting these houses as a landlord rather than as a tenant? Your wording could go either way.

LdiJ

Yes we will be the Landlord and renting them out
Most licensing and permitting with respect to rental properties is going to be on the local, municipal level. The odds of someone on this forum being familiar with the laws in your local municipality are slim to none.

Start by googling landlord/tenant law for PA, and then the same search for your municipality. I am not aware of any federal licensing or permitting for rental properties, in any state.

Most licensing and permitting with respect to rental properties is going to be on the local, municipal level. The odds of someone on this forum being familiar with the laws in your local municipality are slim to none.

Start by googling landlord/tenant law for PA, and then the same search for your municipality. I am not aware of any federal licensing or permitting for rental properties, in any state.
Thanks for the quick response and information

quincy

I am looking into renting out a house or two in Pennsylvania through a LLC, what Federal, State and Local Permits and Licenses am I likely to need?
Have you already formed the LLC?

Where in Pennsylvania will you be purchasing the rental home(s)?

There are all sorts of licensing and permit requirements for rentals in Philadelphia, for example.

FlyingRon

There's no Federal or Pennsylvania statewide requirement for a permit for rentals, however, many of the local municipalities do require permits and inspections for residential rentals. You should contact the borough or whatever local municipal government applies to the area and check with them.

Have you already formed the LLC?

Where in Pennsylvania will you be purchasing the rental home(s)?

There are all sorts of licensing and permit requirements for rentals in Philadelphia, for example.
No we have not formed the LLC yet, we will be purchasing in rural area of PA

LdiJ

No we have not formed the LLC yet, we will be purchasing in rural area of PA
The bolded does not help someone steer you towards helpful information. PA is a huge state with many different counties and municipalities that have different laws and regs regarding rental properties. We cannot steer you towards the laws and regs you need to review if we don't know where you will be purchasing property.

The bolded does not help someone steer you towards helpful information. PA is a huge state with many different counties and municipalities that have different laws and regs regarding rental properties. We cannot steer you towards the laws and regs you need to review if we don't know where you will be purchasing property.
Property in and around Butler County

FlyingRon

That's not fine enough location. "Around" doesn't cut it and Butler county is made up of the city of Butler and various other (23 or so) boroughs and cities.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">