• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

person to person car payments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fishermom

whats the name of your state? missouri

a little about the situation im selling a car to a lady on 100$ payments every two weeks we do not have a contract just messages communicating and the bill of sale stating its sold for 1600$ in payments of 100$ every 2 weeks i gave her the tittle signed and ready and she lost it so i hadn't had the money to get a new one yet so she got the money together and we filed for another lost tittle. we have been dealing with this situation since may it is now October anyway she still owes 300$ and missed her payment on the 10th and is now refusing any further payments because she somehow seams to think her loosing the tittle n not getting the car legal and having to get rides to work is my resposibility she litteraly is saying shes compensating her rides on my dime cus she lost the first tittle so my question is what do i do can i give a written statement with a date the money is do and if she doesn't pay it then i go get the car? is it legal to repo person to person the tittle is still in my name HELP please have no idea what step to take next!

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
What does this have to do with auto accidents?

It's usually a bad idea for a seller to act as a bank. If the buyer can't hand you cash at the time of the sale then the car shouldn't be sold. You're finding out the hard way.

Maybe she found the title and took care of the registration process already. Without a lien on the title then the car is hers.

fishermom

i honestly didn't know were to post it to the car is still mine techniacally obviously idk what im doing this is why im asking ik she owes me money still n has made no effort to be responsiable in any way shape of form and even begin to try and do anything to help herself i jsut need to know what i can legally do nothing else

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You could sue her but do you think you'd be able to collect anything? Besides, what do you have that actually documents the sale?

If someone can't afford to pay you what your asking price is you shouldn't be financing their purchase for them. Why you thought it would be okay to give her the car without your money in hand I don't know. You always have to assume people will behave at their worst in any situation like this.

adjusterjack

then i go get the car? is it legal to repo person to person
You have no right of repo because you don't have a contract giving you the right of repo. You can "write" anything you want to write but it won't hold up because you wrote and she didn't agree to it.

You can send her a demand for the $300 and then sue her if she doesn't pay but you'll have to wait until the loan period is over since you don't have a contract with an acceleration clause. In other words, if she still has two months to pay you have to wait until the time is up to sue. If the time is already up, you can sue now.

If you have the duplicate title in your possession you at least have some leverage. If you were foolish enough to have given her the duplicate, oh well.

If you end up losing $300 on the deal that would be your tuition for the life lesson from the school of hard knocks. Count your blessings that it wasn't a lot more.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">