• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Person to person loan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ms.M

What is the name of your state?
NEVADA
I have been making payments to a family member for a loan for a few years now. They returned two money orders stating the money orders HAVE to be signed, stating the bank refused them.
I send money orders out all the time and have never had a problem. The bank has no issues with this. It's just this person.

I don't sign money orders because of previous identity theft.

My question is this:
What NRS Code, if any, states that if a payment is returned, the debt is considered paid in full?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The money order is supposed to be signed - it says it right there on the money order. Sign the freaking things and send them back...yeesh!

TigerD

The concept you are seeking is accord and satisfaction. It is not what you think it is.
But feel free to google.

But seriously? Screwing over a family member who help you out? Really?
Don't do it.

Ms.M

The concept you are seeking is accord and satisfaction. It is not what you think it is.
But feel free to google.

But seriously? Screwing over a family member who help you out? Really?
Don't do it.
You have no idea what they've done to me. First of all, they offered to give us the money. We didn't ask for it, and of course, we appreciate it! Secondly, we ARE paying it, to the terms agreed upon, even after the falling out. They've been manipulative, not in ways involving the money they gave us. But with family members... So, we no longer speak to them. BUT WE STILL SEND THE MONEY. The unsigned money orders were never a problem before. Sure, this is probably a way for them to contact us.. But I'm not going to be intimidated or bullied, or threatened. And now, I'm thinking they'll copy my signature!

Trust me, If we could pay it off and have them out of our lives for good, I totally would!

I just wanted to know what recourse was available to us to stop their bs.

adjusterjack

The unsigned money orders were never a problem before.
If you are getting your money orders from the US Post Office they don't require your signature.

However, Western Union and Walmart money orders do require your signature.

Be smart. Avoid the hassle by getting them at the Post Office and keep photo copies (not just the stub) as your evidence of payment.

Eekamouse

You have no idea what they've done to me. First of all, they offered to give us the money. We didn't ask for it, and of course, we appreciate it! Secondly, we ARE paying it, to the terms agreed upon, even after the falling out. They've been manipulative, not in ways involving the money they gave us. But with family members... So, we no longer speak to them. BUT WE STILL SEND THE MONEY. The unsigned money orders were never a problem before. Sure, this is probably a way for them to contact us.. But I'm not going to be intimidated or bullied, or threatened. And now, I'm thinking they'll copy my signature!

Trust me, If we could pay it off and have them out of our lives for good, I totally would!

I just wanted to know what recourse was available to us to stop their bs.
I'm sure they'd prefer to be paid back in one lump sum, rather than small monthly payments. You don't deserve kudos for paying back the loan, despite having a falling out. You agreed to pay the loan back to them so pay it back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">