• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

personal bankruptcy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TicToc

What is the name of your state? IN

I have a bill that I have been paying on fo 4 years and will do so for about 10...It is on a car loan that was repossed. I have been paying the bill now and I have been late on my pymts but never anymore than 10 days. I just received a call from my former employer that they served papers on me today. I called the collection lawyer and he is threatening me to pay more. He says he can't stop the paperwork from coming but maybe stop the court procedure IF I pay more and today! My question is, I have just recently married (7-6-02) and would like to go ahead and file bankruptcy but will this effect my new husband. Can I just file my debt only. How will this effect his credit in the future? Please respond as soon as possible. I really need to know which direction to go.

Thanks!

Ladynred

Yes, you can file for yourself.

It should not have any affect on HIS individual credit unless you include accounts that you and your new husband have jointly.

As to how it will affect him.. it will affect him only if you two try to get anything jointly, in which case your bankruptcy would be a stumbling block to the both of you.

Doreen is the IN expert here.. perhaps she'll add her input.

How much debt are you talking about ? A Bankruptcy will stay on your credit report for 10 years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">