• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal Exemption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Virginia

My 341 is on the 31st! . I have very little personal property. My daughter and I live with family. Total of about $800 and that is it. Virginia allows you up to $5000 I believe as an exemption. I was told that I can claim my federal and my state taxes as exempt because they will be in total about $4000. I put this under the exempt personal property in my bk when I filed. Im doing this pro se. I spoke to an attorney last week to get some advice and he told me that in addition I need to file an homestead exemption with the court of the county I live in and that it was downloadable from the interent but cant seem to find it. Can someone help me with this? My dept was little compared to most here. Only around $14,000 but I dont earn much and Spend $500 alone a month in daycare expenses for my 3 year old.





i don't know about va specifically, but you can generally use any personal property exemption to protect tax returns.

good luck


Senior Member
I think this is all you need:


Directly from the VA statutes, it says;

" The following form, or one which is substantially similar, shall be used and shall be sufficient for the writing required by this section: "

Type up the form as it is shown. I couldn't find an on-line form to use.. not yet anyway.
Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential