• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

personal growth

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

reflexresponse

What is the name of your state? NC

I came home from work yesterday to find some Local law enforcement officers at my house. It seems they obtained a search warrent while I was at work and found 5 marijuana plants and 2 pipes with some resin from a while ago in them?

Any advice, I dont know if they are going to make me go to court or offer me something else but I suspect I will have to go to court? Will a pubilc defender be assigned to my case? I cannot afford to hire a lawyer or should I find a way to get a lawyer who specializes in these types of things. I have no criminal record, and I read on NORMAL's site that NC sometimes offer a conditional release program?

conditional release lets a person opt for probation rather than trial. After successfully completing probation, the individual's criminal record does not reflect the charge.

B

black and proud

Since there is a possibility of imprisonment you have the right to a public defender at no charge if you can't afford a lawyer. Try discussing a plea bargain with your lawyer. I've heard of charges being dropped after completing a drug rehab program or something along those lines. Maybe you could work that out with the prosecutor. Just remember... DON"T talk to the police without your lawyer.

stephenk

what have you been charged with? Simple possession or possession with intent to sell?

If the first one, I think that would allow you to go to drug rehab and through probation. If it is intent to sell I dont think they will just offer you probation and rehab, might have some cell time.

R

reflexresponse

Im not sure the detective told me to contact him in a week to see how the DA wanted to proceed, though they did ask me if it was for personal use and I saw no harm in saying "yes".

I have made a appointment with a local criminal lawyer tomorrow, but I do not know if I will be able to afford him or not. Pluse Im unsure I live in a small town and he is a small town lawyer so I dont know his experience in this sort of thing. But I figure it was worth going through the inital consult and seeing what he has to say.

If for once in my life I get a break I will be able to afford him, if that is the case I hope he will be able to talk with the DA, in hopes to prevent this from going to trial.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">