• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal Injury- hire a lawyer or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

luscious729

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? WI
My boyfriend and I were involved in an auto accident just over a year ago. We came over a hill on our way home, barely going 20mph (slowing down in a residential area), and at an intersection, an oncoming farm tractor turned into our lane (he didn't see us) and hit us on the driver's side, totalling the car. We were lucky, as we were in a very small sports car, so the low speed of the collision was a good thing. We were both transported to the hospital- my boyfriend had torn carthilege in his ribs, and I had hit my head on the rearview mirror (yes I had my seatbelt on!), placing about a 2-3 in C-shaped gash above my left eyebrow. We have obvious Ambulance, ER, and Clinical bills from the accident, and I have had many ongoing headache related follow up visits, but I am to the point that headaches have become not so often and so many, I have a little nerve damage in my forehead at my hairline, where there is nothing but numbness, but all in all, we are better. We missed out on a lot with the summer activities last year (we golf, camp, and have 7 kids!). My medical bills have reached about $7K, his are $2K, the car was totalled (about $10K), my boyfriends insurance has paid this and will get reimbursement from the gentleman's insurance who hit us. There was no citation issued (evidentally in our area many farmers are not ticketed for accidents!), and the insurance adjuster from other man's insurance has contacted us on what we are looking for in a settlement- pain and suffering. Besides the obvious medical stuff, lost wages, car, what is reasonable for pain and suffering? We would rather settle out of court, or is it best to hire a personal injury attorney? Thanks for any advice or opinions!

HomeGuru

luscious729 said:
My boyfriend and I were involved in an auto accident just over a year ago. We came over a hill on our way home, barely going 20mph (slowing down in a residential area), and at an intersection, an oncoming farm tractor turned into our lane (he didn't see us) and hit us on the driver's side, totalling the car. We were lucky, as we were in a very small sports car, so the low speed of the collision was a good thing. We were both transported to the hospital- my boyfriend had torn carthilege in his ribs, and I had hit my head on the rearview mirror (yes I had my seatbelt on!), placing about a 2-3 in C-shaped gash above my left eyebrow. We have obvious Ambulance, ER, and Clinical bills from the accident, and I have had many ongoing headache related follow up visits, but I am to the point that headaches have become not so often and so many, I have a little nerve damage in my forehead at my hairline, where there is nothing but numbness, but all in all, we are better. We missed out on a lot with the summer activities last year (we golf, camp, and have 7 kids!). My medical bills have reached about $7K, his are $2K, the car was totalled (about $10K), my boyfriends insurance has paid this and will get reimbursement from the gentleman's insurance who hit us. There was no citation issued (evidentally in our area many farmers are not ticketed for accidents!), and the insurance adjuster from other man's insurance has contacted us on what we are looking for in a settlement- pain and suffering. Besides the obvious medical stuff, lost wages, car, what is reasonable for pain and suffering? We would rather settle out of court, or is it best to hire a personal injury attorney? Thanks for any advice or opinions!
**A: hire an attorney. You can still settle out of court as most cases do but will have the leverage.

JETX

"what is reasonable for pain and suffering?"
*** Somewhere between $1.43 and $150,000. Where your claim might fall in that range simply cannot be answered by anyone but you. You are the ONLY one who knows how much pain you went through and for how long. BTW, you do NOT get compensation for missing out "a lot with the summer activities last year"!!

You need to determine what you feel is reasonable compensation for your non-medical claims. How much, if any, did they offer??

HomeGuru

JETX said:
"what is reasonable for pain and suffering?"
*** Somewhere between $1.43 and $150,000. BTW, you do NOT get compensation for missing out "a lot with the summer activities last year"!!

**A: terrific retort.

LdiJ

If your boyfriend's insurance company paid your damages and has gone after the other party's insurance, then your boyfriend should be speaking to his insurance company before responding to the adjuster. I am not quite certain that it was appropriate for the adjuster to be speaking to you directly at this point.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If your boyfriend's insurance company paid your damages and has gone after the other party's insurance, then your boyfriend should be speaking to his insurance company before responding to the adjuster. I am not quite certain that it was appropriate for the adjuster to be speaking to you directly at this point.
The OP is not represented by an attorney, so there is nothing at all inappropriate about the other party's insurance company speaking to the OP.

adjusterjack

That's completely wrong. If fact, it's often a different claim rep that handle the injury claim and it's entirely appropriate for him/her to be talking to each of the claimants.

Even if it's the same claim rep it's just like having multiple claimants on the same claim, an insurance company being just one of them for subrogation.

Each claimant's claim is a separate claim. The OP has her claim, the BF has his claim, his insurance company has its claim.

quincy

When an original poster’s name is bolded in black and says “guest,” that is a pretty good clue the thread is very old, as would be the thread’s date and the appearance of posters like HomeGuru and JETX. JET died several years ago and HomeGuru has not been on the forum since 2013.

If someone wants to report a spam post, it is best if you also leave a post noting the age of the thread.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">