• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal injury-school sponsored trip

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



My 17 y.o. son was on a 5-day school sponsored trip to Washington state. We live in Indiana. He was injured when the rental van in which he was a passenger struck a car turning left in front of them. This is complicated by the fact 2 sponsors accompanied 16 students. Two 7-passenger minivans were rented. Because not enough seating was available, my son was riding between the back liftgate and rear seat. He was there because he was last to enter the van. The sponsor observed and allowed this. His injuries were minor, but with ER eval, etc. have totaled approx. $1100.00. The insurance co. for the "turning left" car initially told me to copy medical bills and send to them, then they would pay. As of 9/19, with the case in the hands of a new adjustor, I'm told to pay bills, they reimburse me. Also offered $1500.00 for damages. I consulted local attorneys, was told customary damages should be 3-4 times medical expense totals. However, most don't think it worthwhile to take the case. How do I proceed with the insurance company on my own? I have, as of today, filed medical bills with our health insurance to avoid the collection agency's further actions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential