• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

personal injury settlement agreements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? pennsylvania

I am in the process of settling a claim against Commerce BanCorp regarding an accident that occurred at their site. I was accidentally given an explosive red dye pak that went off in the pocket of my trousers in the bank's parking lot. I was sent to the hospital for treatment then on to a specialty eye hospital for additional treatment. For a sum, I verbally agreed to setlle with the Bank, but with the clear point that I was not releasing the dye pak manufacturer or security team. The Insurance representative for the Bank, who is self-insured, sent a release that would have had me sign away my rights against any and all parties related to this accident. I called the insurance group back and told them that I would not sign the relase, and because I felt that they were intentionally deceptive, that I would not settle for the same amount. The insurance referred the letter to their counsel, who resent the agreement with revised language. The thing that troubles me is that the insurance companies counsel states "if you do not honor the previously agreed upon setllement with Commerce Bank, I will make the appropriate motion to enforce the settlement agreement in Court and sekk all attorney's fees and costs incurred by the Bank in bringing that application." Since I have not signed any agreement, and the one agreement stipulation that I had was not initially satisified, am I bound to accept their new agreement?


Senior Member
You do not have to accept what you did not agree to.
And why not level the playing field and get your own attorney to at least review your release and settlement agreement.


I had a similar experience with RiteAid pharmacy over a year ago. In 2001, the pharmacy dispensed Compazene in excess of TEN TIMES the dosage for pediatric use. After almost losing my daughter, and hospitalization, recovery, etc, RiteAid's "risk management" zealously tried contacting me to come to some sort of "settlement". They were attempting to contact me while my daughter was still suffering the effects of the overdose (how quickly they are motivated when a major mistake is made on the corporate end!) I never returned telephone calls, I never responded to letters. I took care of my daughter and when she was satifactorily on her way to recovery, I contacted a trial injury attorney upon recommendation of my personal attorney.
Sign nothing, and get in touch with an injury lawyer ASAP. Most attorneys in this field do not require a retainer and will accept payment for services at settlement of the suit.

Best wishes to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential