• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal Injury Settlement???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hEROSUN

Hello,
Nearly two years before, I had an accident where I was hit by a truck from behind. The driver didn't see me, but he did stop, which was nice.
There came a long surgery, and afterwards, a long rehabilitation period! The accident had left me immobile for a few months, following which physical therapy and a lot of chiropractic treatment brought me back on track. I still experience muscle spasms and pain in my body.
I didn't get a lawyer initially since my insurance company In Toronto was so cooperative and friendly at first. Later while I was through my physio care, they informed me that they were done paying.
I eventually a lawyer who thought that it would be an easy case. I had continued my chiropractic care, and my medical expenses were nearly around $14000 to date. My lawyer presented an opening settlement offer of $40000, which I would fetch me a decent amount to settle my bills and future expenses, after the lawyers' fee.
But the insurance company didn't bulge and has offered me $16000; also, my lawyer wants me to take it. I don't think this is a fair settlement for a lifetime of pain. Have any of you or family/friends ever been in an accident where y'all were injured and received compensation for personal injury? If so, can you shortly explain the details and how much you won?
Thanks!

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I didn't get a lawyer initially since my insurance company In Toronto was so cooperative and friendly at first.
This site discusses law in the U.S. As you are in Canada, you'll need a Canadian legal forum.

Also, in general links to private firms are not allowed here, so you post has been reported to have the link to the Canadian law firm removed. It should come back after that's done.

quincy

hEROSUN, you wrote: “Nearly two years before, I had an accident ...”

It is important to note that, for a personal injury claim in Ontario, the statute of limitations is two years from the date of the accident that caused the injury. If you do not have an attorney yet, you need one very soon if you are interested in suing.

Here is a link to legal resources in Ontario:
https://www.ontariocourts.ca/scj/at-court/assistance

As Taxing Matters notes, FreeAdvice is a U.S. law forum. We cannot assist a poster with legal matters arising in countries other than the U.S.

Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">