• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

personal property rights at work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nakosinanikhan

Texas

I'm not sure of the appropriate forum for this question, but i work part-time at a grocery store. recently management has upgraded to a kind of close-circuit cell phone system for communication throughout the store, and i came to work on saturday to find that they now require a govornment issue ID or the keys to your house or car as collateral for use of the phone. there had been no prior notification of this policy, as there had been for policy changes in the past, nor were we asked to sign off on it. when i refused the phone, i was told that carrying a phone was a requirement for my position, and that if i didn't comply, i would be reassigned to a lower position and take a pay cut.

Can an employer demand these personal articles in exchange for necessary, job-related equipment, and if so can they institute such a policy without consent or prior notification .

seniorjudge

Q: Can an employer demand these personal articles in exchange for necessary, job-related equipment, and if so can they institute such a policy without consent or prior notification .

A: Yes to all.

Sockeye

SeniorJudge, I got to ask for something written on requiring a deposit of personal items on mandatory work equipment.

I do agree that worker can be required to wear it and lack of previous policy makes not differance, but I racking my brain trying to think where it would be legal to demand a deposit on required gear.

BelizeBreeze

Sockeye said:
SeniorJudge, I got to ask for something written on requiring a deposit of personal items on mandatory work equipment.

I do agree that worker can be required to wear it and lack of previous policy makes not differance, but I racking my brain trying to think where it would be legal to demand a deposit on required gear.
It's perfectly legal as is deducting the cost of replacing the equipment should the employee loose it or, through negligence, destroy the equipment.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Actually, whether or not a company can deduct the cost of lost or damaged items is state specific, and only allowed in a small handful of states.

I do agree that there is nothing illegal about requesting that the employee leave their keys or ID as collateral.

Sockeye, it's not that there is a law saying it's legal; it's that there isn't a law saying it's not.

boonehead

What possible good is a set of car keys without a title, a house key without a deed, a drivers license in someone elses name as collateral?
They wouldn't give your car keys back at the end of your shift? what if you had a spare and left anyways? You had to ring the door bell to have your spouse let you in because work kept your house key? You had to go get a reissued license because your employer kept your license? Not asking or answering a legal question just thinking outloud what a useless idea that is.Maybe just making the employee sign an agreement that he is responsible for the equipment would be a better idea.

nakosinanikhan

Since posting I have been trying, though unsucessfully, to work with management to find an alternative method. Thanks for the advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">