• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal repo

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbc1128

What is the name of your state?texas
July of 2018 my boyfriend was out of work and was unable to pay for his truck. We found someone to take over payments. Everything is still in his name. We have a contract stating that the person is to send each payment five days before due date. If he’s 5 days late on payment we have the right to pick up vehicle. Unfortunately he missed a few payments insurance and truck payment. So we paid out of pocket we would like to get vehicle back but we are unaware of location. He then started paying for truck again but is still paying them 15–20 day passed due date. He still owes us for two other missed payments including insurance which comes out 2000. What are out rights to getting vehicle back

quincy

What is the name of your state?texas
... We have a contract stating that the person is to send each payment five days before due date. If he’s 5 days late on payment we have the right to pick up vehicle. Unfortunately he missed a few payments insurance and truck payment. So we paid out of pocket we would like to get vehicle back but we are unaware of location. He then started paying for truck again but is still paying them 15–20 day passed due date. He still owes us for two other missed payments including insurance which comes out 2000. What are out rights to getting vehicle back
Your contract says you have the right to repossess the vehicle. Your challenge will be to locate the vehicle.

cbc1128

Do you have any suggestions on how to locate? And what if he’s put money in truck like rims and lift kit?

quincy

Do you have any suggestions on how to locate? And what if he’s put money in truck like rims and lift kit?
You don't know where the fellow lives or works?

How did you locate him originally?

How does he pay on the truck?

It doesn't matter if purchased rims or a lift kit. The vehicle is not his.
He is also saying he’s not going to give back and he will take us to court?
I don't think he will take you to court.

cbc1128

We found him on offers up. We have a picture Id of him but he no longer lives at that address. He sends money through cash app

quincy

We found him on offers up. We have a picture Id of him but he no longer lives at that address. He sends money through cash app
You can either do investigative work yourself (check social media sites, for example), or you can hire a private investigator, as suggested earlier.

Thanks for answering my questions.

Good luck.

Check the on-line court records and see if he's due in court. Then you know where the truck will be on that day.
Cancel the insurance, and if stopped by the police it may get impounded and will only be released to the registered owner.
Check Farcebook and other social media sites. People often post where they are or where they will be going.
Do an internet search for "Ping a cell phone"

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Cancelling the insurance on a car in your name would be a big mistake.
I agree - that was really bad advice from Neil. If cbc1128 cancels the insurance, then not only will it expose the OP's BF to possible financial liability in the even of an accident involving the car, but it will likely cause the lender to place their own insurance on the vehicle at a much higher cost that the BF will then be responsible for. In fact, what the BF did violated his contract with the lender in the first place. This is a mess for the BF.

quincy

I agree - that was really bad advice from Neil. If cbc1128 cancels the insurance, then not only will it expose the OP's BF to possible financial liability in the even of an accident involving the car, but it will likely cause the lender to place their own insurance on the vehicle at a much higher cost that the BF will then be responsible for. In fact, what the BF did violated his contract with the lender in the first place. This is a mess for the BF.
I agree this is a mess for the boyfriend.

Personally, if I were cbc1128, I would not want to keep linking myself to the mess by using the "we's" and the "us's" and the "our's" - unless the loan and insurance are in her name (or jointly with her boyfriend).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">