• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pest Control Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zzzzz78759

What is the name of your state? Texas

I rent a single family home and have lived there for 3 years.

When I moved into the house, my landlord said that she was involved in a class action law suit against the builder of the house and as soon as the suit was settled she would replace the siding on the house. It is seriously terrible, big holes, parts coming off, chunks coming out of the trim. The suit was settled just a couple of months after I moved in.

I have requested, numerous times, to have the siding replaced. Not only is in an eyesore but the house is not sealed so it's subject to all manner of pests. This spring, she told me that she had hired a contractor for one of her other properties (she lives out of state) and she'd send him out.

About two weeks ago, I emailed her several times stating that there was an animal in the attic and tree roaches in the house. She never responded so finally I called her to make sure she was getting my emails. She finally sent out the contractor and agreed to replace the siding and call an exterminator.

This week she emailed me and said that she's not responsible for extermination and I will have to pay for the exterminator and then she will have the siding put on and the house sealed up.

So my question is, who's responsible for the extermination? Rodents in the attic are a health and safety hazard. There's no way I could have prevented them from coming in. The tree roaches are in because the house isn't sealed. They don't come in looking for food or anything.

If anyone has any information, could you tell me where to find the statute, too? I am having the exterminator come out because now we're just at a standoff and I can't stand it anymore. I realize that she can just ignore me once I've had it done but it has to be done.

Any advice is appreciated.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state? Texas

I rent a single family home and have lived there for 3 years.

When I moved into the house, my landlord said that she was involved in a class action law suit against the builder of the house and as soon as the suit was settled she would replace the siding on the house. It is seriously terrible, big holes, parts coming off, chunks coming out of the trim. The suit was settled just a couple of months after I moved in.

I have requested, numerous times, to have the siding replaced. Not only is in an eyesore but the house is not sealed so it's subject to all manner of pests. This spring, she told me that she had hired a contractor for one of her other properties (she lives out of state) and she'd send him out.

About two weeks ago, I emailed her several times stating that there was an animal in the attic and tree roaches in the house. She never responded so finally I called her to make sure she was getting my emails. She finally sent out the contractor and agreed to replace the siding and call an exterminator.

This week she emailed me and said that she's not responsible for extermination and I will have to pay for the exterminator and then she will have the siding put on and the house sealed up.

So my question is, who's responsible for the extermination? Rodents in the attic are a health and safety hazard. There's no way I could have prevented them from coming in. The tree roaches are in because the house isn't sealed. They don't come in looking for food or anything.

If anyone has any information, could you tell me where to find the statute, too? I am having the exterminator come out because now we're just at a standoff and I can't stand it anymore. I realize that she can just ignore me once I've had it done but it has to be done.

Any advice is appreciated.
**A: the L/T law is online. Find it.

FarmerJ

If the siding has not been replaced take pics of the house before it is replaced so you are able to have them for your records.

Hot Topic

Obviously, she shouldn't have rented the house out until the lawsuit was settled and the siding replaced. You shouldn't have moved into a house in that condition, especially since you had nothing in writing committing her to do the replacement.

I don't believe that she has any intention of replacing the siding, no matter what you do to attempt to expedite matters. An exterminator will spray, the bugs will move out of reach of it, then come back as soon as the fumes subside.

I suggest you contact the attorney general's office, as well as the building inspector in the city closest to you. This is a habitability issue.

Hot Topic

If there's a rodent in the attic, it's a health issue. Besides leaving little disease carrying "gifts," there's a real chance of exposure to rabies.

Call the health department.

Confine your contact with the landlord to letters sent via certified mail, return receipt requested. Photograph everything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">