• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pet Deposits.....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

leosporin

What is the name of your state?
California
I have been living in my apartment for four years....
when I first moved in, the official policy was "no pets", however, the apt. manager said that a cat was ok and did not charge me a pet deposit......
Two years ago, I got another cat and then another 2 last year (total of 4).
The apt. manager has known about all four cats, and has never said a word about them, nor was any mention of them included in the last lease I signed in Aug. of 2004..... even though the pet policy was changed about 1 year ago, and pets are now allowed.
I just received my new lease, and though there is no pet policy written into the lease, the manager had attached a yellow sticky note which said my four cats were not allowed and that I must pay a deposit of $150.00 per cat and show proof that they are all fixed.
Is this in any way legal??
Thanks for any help on this......

HomeGuru

leosporin said:
What is the name of your state?
California
I have been living in my apartment for four years....
when I first moved in, the official policy was "no pets", however, the apt. manager said that a cat was ok and did not charge me a pet deposit......
Two years ago, I got another cat and then another 2 last year (total of 4).
The apt. manager has known about all four cats, and has never said a word about them, nor was any mention of them included in the last lease I signed in Aug. of 2004..... even though the pet policy was changed about 1 year ago, and pets are now allowed.
I just received my new lease, and though there is no pet policy written into the lease, the manager had attached a yellow sticky note which said my four cats were not allowed and that I must pay a deposit of $150.00 per cat and show proof that they are all fixed.
Is this in any way legal??
Thanks for any help on this......
**A: of course it is. Let's look at your situation a bit in detail. The bottom line is that you have no fixed lease therefore you are considered a m/m tenant. If you do not sign the lease and agree to said provisions, L could give you written notice of m/m lease termination. Then where would your and your 4 cats go?

leosporin

So, I could sign the year lease which has no pet policy listed...but can I still be charged a pet deposit if it is not in the lease agreement??
Is the yellow sticky note attached considered the pet policy??
Thanks again...

HomeGuru

leosporin said:
So, I could sign the year lease which has no pet policy listed...but can I still be charged a pet deposit if it is not in the lease agreement??

**A: that's not what I said but if you are to stay, be sure that the lease includes the 4 cats.

Is the yellow sticky note attached considered the pet policy??

**A: I don't know since I did not write it nor have any clue as to the mindset of the apartment manager writer. Although, I could tell you that a pet policy written on a yellow Post-It note i snot good management policy.
Thanks again...
**A: ok and be sure to pick up some catnip soon.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">