• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pet fur, allergies, and carpet replacement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ducky108

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

My girlfriend and I recently moved into an apartment that is pet-friendly, although we have no pets. When we moved in we noticed the carpet was full of pet fur (even chunks lodged around the baseboards). We notified the rental agency and they eventually sent out their “professional” cleaner to clean them (I thought it should have been cleaned before move-in?) We still weren't satisfied with the result so we got a steam cleaner and ran that as well (picking up more fur in the process). We've also run the vacuum several times and have continued picking up large amounts of fur.

The problem is: my girlfriend is having problems with her allergies due to extraordinary amount of pet fur still in the carpet. We've asked them to replace the carpet, however they say the carpet was replaced in 2004 and that there was “no way the carpet could have that much fur”. Do allergies constitute a medical reason to have the carpets replaced? What are our options?

Thanks for your input.

CA LL

If her allergies are that bad, you should have looked for and rented a place that does not allow pets.

You took possession of the place therefore accepting it "as is".

NO you cannot demand new carpet. You can ask but you already did and they are not obligated to do so.

Hot Topic

Are you telling us that you rented the apartment without looking at it? It doesn't make sense that you and your girlfriend would look at an apartment with that much fur in it and proceed to rent it. She should have been sneezing her head off as she fled from the place, you hot on her heels.

People with severe allergies usually avoid places that are pet friendly because one allergy we tend to have in common is a powerful reaction to cat dander, NOT fur. That will be specified on the work up done by doctors who specialize in allergies. I have 29 allergies, and I've yet to see a list of allergies that doesn't allude to cat dander.

I think you want a new carpet and have decided that a claim of allergies is a good way to get one.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">