• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pet

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Holly3981

I live in Florida. I have a lease with a apartment community. I have lived here for almost 7 years. I have a chocolate lab that my daughter brought with her from Maine. My daughter is on my lease. The property manger and owner were upset that "the dog was forced on them". However, they let me keep the dog here and accepted my pet deposit. Now there is an issue because other supposedly "new" tenants want to bring in a large pet, lease says 40lbs, I believe. Property owner says no, tenants say, well what about the chocolate lab. Now I have to have a meeting with the property management about my dog. 6 or 7 other tenants has larger dogs but everyone refers to my dog because I am well known and have been here longer so it looks like my dog it the problem. This all started because of a complaint, again, about someone letting their " big black dog off the leash, run everywhere, poop everywhere and not cleaning it up. Not my dog.... What options do I have? I was told they can't do much other than not renew my lease next year because they accepted my money as a pet fee. I am not sure what the big issue is with a large dog considering its the yapping smaller dogs that do the damage and the owner don't clean up after them... Any help is appreciated.

longneck

you are correct. if the LL bent the community rules for you and you got it in writing, the only thing they can do is not renew your lease.

now if they have actual evidence of your dog doing damage to the property or breaking any community rules your lease binds you to, then that's a different story.

Holly3981

pet

My pet doesn't do any damage. The neighborhood kids do but that isn't a problem. I just have a neighbor below me that thinks she runs the complex and complains about everything. I have a meeting with the LL this morning. After a lot of bickering between us and her telling me that it is a problem her bending the rules for me she totally changed the subject and was fine. I asked her about my dog and what I was suppose to do she said nothing. That I could keep the dog. It is just many complaints from the old woman below me. She says she can hear my cats jump off the couch. My cats are big but not that big. The woman is just old and lonely but she is a B$#@* to everyone. The LL will get over it and move to someone else hopefully.
Thank you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">