• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

petitioning for child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state?undefinedWhat is the name of your state?Nebraska
My question is , I have been divorced since 1998 , I have 3 children , at the time of divorce we were granted joint custody with physical custody of my oldest with his father and my 2 youngest with me.. My amt of child support to my ex was $122 his amt to me was $462., what the decree stated was that he pay me $340 a month (462-122= 340) however., since this time my son has turned 19 shouldnt my $122 that I paid him of been added back into the amount that he paid me = $462 which was his share.. How does one go about finding this out I called the district court and he says I will have to petition the court to revise the child support.. Is this true if so do I need a lawyer to do this ? Thank you for any help you can offer me.


Senior Member
You need to petition to modify support. You can pay an atty to do that for you or you can file pro se. Some states offer forms online, if yours doesn't, you can to go to your county courthouse and ask for the appropriate documents.


Senior Member
pro se means you represent yourself, without an attorney

the forms should be pretty straight foward to fill out yourself.


Senior Member
Actually, all you need to do is go down to your local child support agency. They will handle it for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential