• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

petty theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

katint

I am being charged with stealing 360$ from my employer (in Florida). I was not arested, and have a notice to appear. 812.014 is written in the section: fss/mo/co, level/degree is m-1. I plan to plead guilty and hopefully put this behind me. This is my first offense and I was curious what I might be facing. I have already returned a 150$ of the merchandise, and plan to return an additional 80$. Besides helping me deal with the sheer scope of my stupidity does returning the merchandise help. I would think it might, but you never know. Thank you.

T

Tracey

Returning the merchandise helps but it's an admission that can be used against you.

Hiring a lawyer helps a lot more. Never plead guilty until your lawyer has negotiated a plea agreement. The court can saddle you with a fine, restitution (up to 2 times the amount you stole), court costs, a victim's fund fee, & probation fees. It will be well over $1,000 by the time you're done. Your lawyer's goal should be to plead you guilty to a lesser crime & negotiate a restitution amount. The judge doesn't have to follow the agreement, but they usually do.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">