• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PFA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Kanasa
My ex has a PFA and now wants an extension. I have not contacted her in over a year, have moved away and want nothing to do with her. What are the chances for the judge to extend it? And should I get a lawyer? I just want all of this to go away now esp since I have moved on with my life.

adjusterjack

Then pick up the papers and file your response. You can waive personal service and probably have the papers mailed or even emailed to you. Might as well address it now.

Keep in mind that motions that are unopposed often get granted for the asking, so don't ignore it.

According to KSA 60-3107(e)(1) it appears that the petitioner might be able to get the one year extension just for the asking (though you still get notice and the opportunity to respond).

Scroll down about half way to Kerry v. Stacy:

https://www.ksbar.org/blogpost/1618780/Appellate-Court-Digests?tag=Wyandotte

But for anything longer than that (e)(2) has more rigorous requirements:

https://law.justia.com/codes/kansas/2017/chapter-60/article-31/section-60-3107/

Check out the forms from the Kansas Judicial Council. There is a "Response to Motion to Extend Order for One Year."

http://www.kansasjudicialcouncil.org/legal-forms/protection-orders

Looks like that's the one you'll file if her request is for another year.

When you get the papers, come back to this thread if you want to discuss it further.

I am picking up the papers on Monday and am responding and will show up to the hearing. Thank YOU so much and I will check back in and post once I get the paperwork.

I went to the Sheriffs office and picked up the paperwork. It states that she wants to extend it for an additional year and we have a court date on July 9. No reasons were stated.
I have the motion to disagree paper to fill out and am dropping it off at courthouse. I do not have a lawyer,though. Any advice would be great! Thank you.

adjusterjack

I have the motion to disagree paper to fill out
Feel free to post your objections if you like. I'm not a lawyer but having a disinterested party take a look might be helpful.

How far away did you move?
Have you had no contact at all nor made any attempts either directly or indirectly in the past year?
Do you run in the same social circles where contact might be possible?
Why did she file the original PFA?

Feel free to post your objections if you like. I'm not a lawyer but having a disinterested party take a look might be helpful.

How far away did you move?
Have you had no contact at all nor made any attempts either directly or indirectly in the past year?
Do you run in the same social circles where contact might be possible?
Why did she file the original PFA?

Hey! She filed in the county we use to live in, as she still does. I moved about an hour and 15minutes away. Our social circle has decreased and it's rare that we would see each other. In a year, I've seen her once. I have NOT made any attempt at all to contact her. Thank you for your posts. ;)

Just Blue

Hey! She filed in the county we use to live in, as she still does. I moved about an hour and 15minutes away. Our social circle has decreased and it's rare that we would see each other. In a year, I've seen her once. I have NOT made any attempt at all to contact her. Thank you for your posts. ;)
What was the reason for the PFA in the first place?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">