• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PG&E offered us a program and left us with defective HVAC, CO detectors that won't pass and don't know what to do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justalayman

Upon further review and after consulting NFPA 72 (the publication many if not most jurisdictions base their fire and electrical codes on) have deferred to requiring placement be based upon manufactures recommendations. So, to adequately determine if the placement is allowable we would have to know the manufacturer and possibly the model of the co detector.

quincy

Upon further review and after consulting NFPA 72 (the publication many if not most jurisdictions base their fire and electrical codes on) have deferred to requiring placement be based upon manufactures recommendations. So, to adequately determine if the placement is allowable we would have to know the manufacturer and possibly the model of the co detector.
Right. It would be a bit silly to go against the manufacturer's recommendation.

I am not sure that the CO placement is the major issue of concern here, though. :)

justalayman

The building code is not specific. It goes by manufacturer recommendation.
So if they are Kidde detectors and they are less than 6” from the ceiling, placement would in fact be improper.

Irrespective of all this technical mumbo jumbo:

Op should not be overly concerned about the placement. If the NFPA felt there was a truly valid basis for specific placement or avoidance, they would include it in their published code. Having worked with NFPA codes for decades, I can attest to the fact they are anal about specific detail if they believe it is justified. I would not lose sleep over the placement, even if it doesn’t comply with the manufactures recommendations to a t.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">