• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Phone Charges and Teenager

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

its me

This past summer, my 14 year old daughter called a 900# 'psychic' without permission. The charge on my phone bill was for $49.90, which I had the phone co. remove. They (the 'psychic' people) have since written and called me, telling me that they are not responsible for verifing her age and I still had to pay the bill. I was told by them that, although they say on their TV ads callers must be over 18, it was still their policy to bill. Personally, I don't think you need to be psychic to know the difference between a 14 y/o and a 50 y/o. That's how old she told them she was. Anyway, am I responsible to pay this and what other recourse do I have?

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

#1 --> if the phone company removed the charge from your bill --- then you are not responsible for payment.

#2 -- tell phone psychic that they can try to go after phone company to pay.

#3 == keep all records of the charge and the phone company's confirmation of crediting it back to you.

#4 -- read this section and then tell them what you learned and tell them you will call the FCC (federal communications commission) and FTC (federal trade commission):

MY 15-YEAR OLD SON, WHO LOOKS OLDER, JUST SIGNED A CONTRACT TO PURCHASE A COMPUTER. IS THE CONTRACT VALID?
No, the contract is not valid. As your son is a minor (under age of 18), he is not old enough to enter into a legally binding contract without parental consent except for "necessities" . The computer is not a necessity. The store will have to refund the payment he made, regardless of their return policy, when he returns the computer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">