• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Phone Sale To Fraud or jail time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NitroGEEK101

Well Ok I Bought A Phone From Someone And Used It For Six Months Or So(Still working with my company) And Then I Sold It To A Person Off Of Craigslist Then About A Year Later Messages Me That The Phone Itself Got Blacklisted From The Company And The Buyer Says Is Willing Call Cops On Me and He Has My Information... Can I Be Charged With Anything

quincy

Well Ok I Bought A Phone From Someone And Used It For Six Months Or So(Still working with my company) And Then I Sold It To A Person Off Of Craigslist Then About A Year Later Messages Me That The Phone Itself Got Blacklisted From The Company And The Buyer Says Is Willing Call Cops On Me and He Has My Information... Can I Be Charged With Anything
What is the name of your state, and why are you capitalizing all of your words?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state, and why are you capitalizing all of your words?
The forums does that if you post in all caps. Watch:

ETA: Never mind, I was wrong...back to your originally scheduled programming!

quincy

You could be charged with something, yes. But it depends on far more facts than what you have disclosed here.

Is the phone that you purchased, and later sold, a stolen item?

NitroGEEK101

Ok here Is The Story. I bought A Phone from someone off the street As Is. Used It for like A couple Of months then saw someone wanting to buy it so I sold it working condition and not reported stolen. Then the person I sold it to comes and tells the phone no longer works because it has been reported stolen. I sold him the phone as is and he was satisfied. I really don't know the history of the phone just that it worked when I bought it. And Under the law I read a store, retailer, merchant, has to give a 30 day warranty under used items but I am not a merchant. And I am a minor which its illegal to go into a contract with a minor. But anyway he comes back more than a month later to tell me its been reported stolen and he wants me to explain my self or he will call authorities can I be charged?

quincy

Ok here Is The Story. I bought A Phone from someone off the street As Is. Used It for like A couple Of months then saw someone wanting to buy it so I sold it working condition and not reported stolen. Then the person I sold it to comes and tells the phone no longer works because it has been reported stolen. I sold him the phone as is and he was satisfied. I really don't know the history of the phone just that it worked when I bought it. And Under the law I read a store, retailer, merchant, has to give a 30 day warranty under used items but I am not a merchant. And I am a minor which its illegal to go into a contract with a minor. But anyway he comes back more than a month later to tell me its been reported stolen and he wants me to explain my self or he will call authorities can I be charged?
Yes, you can be charged for selling a stolen item, this even though you are a minor. Even minors are not allowed to sell stolen items.

If the buyer is giving you the choice of explaining yourself or him calling the authorities, though, I think if I were you I would go with the explaining yourself option. ;)

Although the odds are pretty good that nothing will come of this, if you are contacted by the police, do not say anything to the police about the phone. Say you are exercising your right to remain silent and you want to speak with your attorney - then get yourself an attorney.

Good luck.

Last edited:

quincy

And Including It wasn't reported stolen at the time of the sale
None of that means you wouldn't be arrested and charged.

The Craigslist buyer can tie you to the stolen phone. The buyer cannot tie the stolen phone to the person you purchased it from.

If you cannot connect for the police the stolen phone to the person you purchased it from, the police could/would look at you as the thief. They have good evidence that you sold a stolen phone.

Do you know the person you purchased the phone from, or do you know how to locate him? Being able to identify the real thief would probably be a pretty good defense to have, if you are actually arrested and charged.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">