• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

photo copyrights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bluejay

I recently found out that some pictures I had taken were used in a published book. I never gave these pictures to the authors, had no idea they were using them, and there is no credit to my name under the photos in the book.
I never copyrighted these photos. Does this mean that they are a free for all to any one who wants to use and publish them to help them profit on their book? What are my legal rights here? I'm really perturbed that my pictures were used without my permission or even credit?
Thanks for your help.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bluejay:
I recently found out that some pictures I had taken were used in a published book. I never gave these pictures to the authors, had no idea they were using them, and there is no credit to my name under the photos in the book.
I never copyrighted these photos. Does this mean that they are a free for all to any one who wants to use and publish them to help them profit on their book? What are my legal rights here? I'm really perturbed that my pictures were used without my permission or even credit?
Thanks for your help.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How did they get the photos? They are considered your "work" and you do not need to copyright them. You can claim that you did not give permission for the use of the photos, were not given credit as the photographer and was not paid anything.

T

Tracey

You got an automatic copyright when you took the pictures. File to register the copyright ASAP, then have a CR alwyer write a threatening letter to the author demanding royalties. You might even be able to place a lien on the publisher to 'garnish' the royalty checks.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">