• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

physical custody & name change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



teenager doesn't want to see dad

my ex and i have joint custody of our two daughters, i have physical custody. He lives in colorado, we live in new mexico. my 16 year old wants to change her last name to mine (maiden name)and sever all ties with her dad. In short, he calls and only wants to talk to the younger child, comes to town unannounced and doesn't bother to see either of them, calls infrequently, makes no effort to have both children visit. can she change her name without his consent? how will her decision to no longer see him affect support? can she just decide this? physical custody was granted to me due to the fact that they spent only 15% of their time with him (nine years ago, now they spend less than 3% of their time with him. the custody decree was issued in new mexico.

[Edited by tttmove on 06-21-2001 at 09:56 PM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential